[Nix-dev] Adding xfce4 panel plugins

Eduard Carreras i Nadal ecarreras at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:30:06 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>

> On 10/09/2012 03:32 PM, Eduard Carreras i Nadal wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm trying to add some goodies to xfce4 like panel plugins. I've done
>> the nix expression [1][2], then added to
>> pkgs/desktops/xfce-4.8/**default.nix[3].
>>
>> [...]
>>

>> Then I tried to install this package with nix-env -i
>> /nix/store/**gas9rjahhdxkksv7k3fbq4kwgp17xr**
>> vf-xfce4-cpufreq-plugin-1.0.0
>> but when I try to add the plugin there is not cpufreq plugin in the list
>> of xfce4 panel plugins.
>>

> The problem is the path that the panel uses to search for plugins. I'm
> quite sure it's compile-time configurable, but that would mean we need to
> recompile it whenever (re)installing plugins, which would be very
> uncomfortable.
>
> The typical solution would be a wrapper that sets the path (like for
> firefox), perhaps via an environment variable. I don't know if xfce4-panel
> supports that, but it shouldn't be too difficult to patch it. According to
> [gtk] it might work by setting GTK_PATH.

Ok, I'll take a look to this and see how this go on.

> Even better, maybe it would suffice to modify the desktop file entry
> X-XFCE-Module-Path or X-XFCE-Exec (see [xfce]).

I've seen that X-XFCE-Module is used for internal plugins like windowmenu
plugin and X-XFCE-Exec is for external. The xfce4-cpufreq-plugin.desktop
has
a X-XFCE-Exec=/nix/store/gas9rjahhdxkksv7k3fbq4kwgp17xrvf-xfce4-cpufreq-plugin-1.0.0/libexec/xfce4/panel-plugins/xfce4-cpufreq-plugin.

Thanks for your comments.

--
Eduard Carreras i Nadal <ecarreras at gmail.com>