[Nix-dev] icon-cache problem

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 13:23:04 CET 2013

Hi. I've discovered that some GUI applications regenerate icon-cache
during install. It works for other distros but leads to a confusion in
Nix. For example, after installing gparted, all other user-installed
applications lost their icons in Xfce main menu. That is because nixos
places icon-cache of gparted under ~/.nix-profile/share/icons/hicolor.
Xfce sees the cache (which contains only gparted icons) and renders
all non-gparted menu items using default "no-icon" stub.

The simplest solution to my problem would be to fix the gparted
installer (say, remove the cache using postInstall hook) but it
doesn't look clever enough. Is it possible to do something better than
that, for example, filter out this cache globally or prevent it from
being linked?

Regards,
Sergey