[Nix-dev] icon-cache problem

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 13:40:16 CET 2013

On 11/05/2013 01:23 PM, Sergey Mironov wrote:
> Hi. I've discovered that some GUI applications regenerate icon-cache
> during install. It works for other distros but leads to a confusion in
> Nix. For example, after installing gparted, all other user-installed
> applications lost their icons in Xfce main menu. That is because nixos
> places icon-cache of gparted under ~/.nix-profile/share/icons/hicolor.
> Xfce sees the cache (which contains only gparted icons) and renders
> all non-gparted menu items using default "no-icon" stub.
>
> The simplest solution to my problem would be to fix the gparted
> installer (say, remove the cache using postInstall hook) but it
> doesn't look clever enough. Is it possible to do something better than
> that, for example, filter out this cache globally or prevent it from
> being linked?

Yes, this is a known problem. There's a hardcoded fix for system
enviroments, which generates the gtk icon cache there. Having it
installed in individual packages is probably useless (many postInstalls
remove it). Note: KDE have an independent solution of this (kbuildsycoca
IIRC).

It's in my long-term ToDo list to have some kind of modular solution for
such things, so we can get hooks into post-build of any
user/system-environment. Feel free to look into it, my ToDo is always
getting more items than I can process, and icons don't seem to be a
high-priority issue for most people here (including myself).

Vlada