[Nix-dev] BootDevice Not Found

Dejan Lukan evangeline.eleanor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 00:37:53 CET 2014

Hello all,

Recently I've installed NixOS on my new HP Ultrabook 850 Laptop, but I cannot boot into the system. Whenever I restart the
livecd NixOS distribution, I get the following error message:

  BootDevice Not Found
  Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
  Hard Disk - (3F0)

But if I boot from CD and choose "Boot from hard drive", the Grub from original hard drive opens, which verifies that the bootloader
is present on the /dev/sda. I'm relatively sure it's a BIOS problem, but I have a hard time figuring what could be wrong. I've disabled
the RAID (and use AHCI) and the legacy booting mode is selected (not UEFI). Therefore grub1 should work fine as is installed on /dev/sda.

Relevant part of the configuration.nix is presented below:

  boot.loader.grub.enable = true;
  boot.loader.grub.version = 1;
  boot.loader.grub.device = "/dev/sda";
  boot.initrd.luks.devices = [ { name = "system"; device = "/dev/sda2"; preLVM = true; } ];
  boot.initrd.luks.cryptoModules = ["aes" "sha256" "sha1" "cbc"];

Any ideas about the error message. I guess it has something to do with BIOS, which can't look at the MBR of the hard drive
in order to discover the Grub boot loader.

Please provide any comments that might shed some light onto this problem.