[Nix-dev] Keeping nixpkgs up to date

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at polycademy.com
Mon Sep 1 01:24:21 CEST 2014

Many other package systems are decentralised (Gems/Composer/PyPI/NPM).

Why not make Nix packages decentralised? So that maintainers can
maintain their own packages and update them at any time? This would
speed up evolution of Nix packages.

One problem to solve is how do we make sure that unresponsive
maintainers can be replaced by responsive maintainers.

At this point, the all-packages.nix file will grow bigger and bigger. If
maintainers can independently update their packages, which might
introduce more bugs, I think there will need to be a stringent
tagging/semantic versioning of each package, so that its possible to
have many versions of the same package.

If the package update process is kept the same, the more people that use
nix, the more people who contribute to nix, the more work to accept
pull-requests, which would have to mean an increase in the number of
people who have the privilege to merge pull-requests. Otherwise there's
going to be an increasing amount of work for a constant number of people.

Thanks,
Roger