[Nix-dev] Keeping nixpkgs up to date

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Tue Sep 2 11:33:41 CEST 2014

>>       1 not sure if 0.8.0.3 is relevant on linux
>>       1 patch OK
>>       2 hard to say
>>       2 not linked on homepage
>>       3 build failure
>>      11 patch ok
>>      12 build pending
>>      23 irrelevant
>>      29 no patch
>>

>What does "no patch" mean? (a new release without a patch or a tarball
>makes no sense)

We know some other distribution has a newer version but cannot
automatically patch out expression to fetch the new tarball.

>"irrelevant" could be baked into monitor.nixos.org, if it is non-security
>related.

These should be just ignored — some of these are trivial to automate.

>"not linked on homepage" means that monitor.nixos.org missed it?

No, it misses way more.

There are multiple packages where some distributions package versions
not acknowledged by software's homepage.

Think gcc-2.96, but with less critical software.

>"hard to say"??

Looking at two versions it is not always obvious if the package is
newer. I didn't want to spend inordinate effort but I didn't want to
hide throwing data out.

>It seems like you have 3 "build failures" and 2 "not linked on homepage"
>that could not be automated.  Am I reading your numbers correctly?

Nope, our real problem is 30 «no patch» + 3 build failures + (expected)
3 out of 12 pending builds failing — vs. 12 patch OK + (expected) 9 more
patches from pending builds.