[Nix-dev] Keeping nixpkgs up to date

Alexander Kjeldaas ak at formalprivacy.com
Tue Sep 2 11:16:40 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> wrote:

> >With the awesome monitor.nixos.org system, we're prety close to 1)
> deriving
> >trivial patches (update version and sha256) automatically, 2) building
> >these trivial patches in a monitor.nixos.org-controlled branch, and 3)
> >notifying maintainers that a successful build of a new version exists so
> >they can 4) expose a particular commit as a pull request.
> >
> >I have a feeling that 97% of the updates could be handled like this,
> >bringing the maintainance job down to a couple of mouse clicks.
>
> I am a package maintainer and can look up…
>
> irrelevant is for stable-to-unstable with existing unstable expression
> and for cross-branch upgrades.
>
>       1 not sure if 0.8.0.3 is relevant on linux
>       1 patch OK
>       2 hard to say
>       2 not linked on homepage
>       3 build failure
>      11 patch ok
>      12 build pending
>      23 irrelevant
>      29 no patch

What does "no patch" mean? (a new release without a patch or a tarball
makes no sense)
"irrelevant" could be baked into monitor.nixos.org, if it is non-security
related.
"not linked on homepage" means that monitor.nixos.org missed it?
"hard to say"??

It seems like you have 3 "build failures" and 2 "not linked on homepage"
that could not be automated.  Am I reading your numbers correctly?

Alexander