[Nix-dev] Will there be a systemd replacement at any time inthefuture?

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Tue Sep 2 12:06:44 CEST 2014

>>> It's funny, for me it's the opposite - logging with systemd is sooo much better
>>> than with Upstart. (IIRC, the logging of stderr of Upstart jobs was a
>>> NixOS-specific hack, and other than that there was no logging support.)
>>
>> Somehow, it work reliably…
>
>It did not. There was no way with Upstart to get the log output of a service.

In NixOS the problem wasn't noticeable…

Logging of output was implemented in a way that didn't require an edit
to every jobs and the logs looked the same as all the other logs on the
system…

Upstart not caring about logs was probably a plus.

>>> However, there is a long-standing issue with stdout/stderr logging: if the
>>> process dies before systemd has had a change to process its log message, then
>>> systemd may not be able to figure out the unit corresponding to the message, so
>>> it may be lost (or not attributed to the unit). See
>>>
>>>  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-June/005590.html
>>
>> Apparently, the fix got merged? Why doesn't it work?
>
>It only works if the sender is root.

Painful.

Is there a _reasonable_ way to work around this? I guess duplication of
most messages in system journal is not nice, and you won't approve
logging all output _also_ to plain text files using tee?