[Nix-dev] Will there be a systemd replacement at any time inthefuture?

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Tue Sep 2 13:32:16 CEST 2014

On 02/09/14 12:06, Michael Raskin wrote:

>> It did not. There was no way with Upstart to get the log output of a service.
>
> In NixOS the problem wasn't noticeable…

Again, the logging situation with systemd is vastly superior than it was with
Upstart. With Upstart you simply couldn't do something like "systemctl status
foo.service" and see the most recent log messages of a service. Or do
"journalctl --since yesterday -p err" to see important recent messages. And so on...

> Logging of output was implemented in a way that didn't require an edit
> to every jobs and the logs looked the same as all the other logs on the
> system…

What is the "edit to every job" that you refer to? Also, it's only with the
journal that logs can be accessed consistently, rather than being scattered
across a zillion files, each in a different format.

I'm simply not seeing the journal issues you seem to run into constantly. Did
you make an issue for them?

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/