[Nix-dev] "Failed to execute login command"

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 05:28:26 CEST 2014

On 09/02/2014 09:44 PM, Luca Bruno wrote:
> It happened to me a couple of times after big nixos-rebuild. It may
> happened that some X drivers were updated.
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since about a month now, whenever I do "nixos-rebuild switch" (after
>> also updating channel sources) I'm being kicked out of the desktop
>> environment and cannot login graphically unless I reboot (maybe there
>> is a way to recover, but haven't yet bothered to investigate that
>> further).
>>
>> When this happens, I get the message "Failed to execute login command"
>> (or something similar) in the middle of the screen in a "graphical"
>> big font. After a second or two I see a text console (ctrl-alt-f1?)
>> and then back to the "Failed to execute login command".
>>
>> Anyone else getting these?
>>
>> The problem "fixes itself" by rebooting. But it's very annoying. I'm
>> running nixos unstable with gnome3.12 and lightdm login manager.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bjørn Forsman

My personal experience with drivers being updated (say, along with the
kernel) is that X keeps running but if I try to restart it then it won't
work unless I reboot which is understandable considering they are now
linked against new kernel. Perhaps a similar thing is happening here,
big driver update. I think you should say what your DE/DM is, I thought
those never get restarted by default.

--
Mateusz K.