[Nix-dev] after rebuild, grub says "error: symbol 'grub_term_highlight_color' not found"

James Cook james.cook at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 17 06:11:26 CEST 2014

Hi all,

After updating from approximately 9cbc2165 (Aug 23) to b079eef31 (Sep
16), instead of booting, my system gave the error message in the
subject.  It seems the same as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1289977 and I
fixed it with the same solution (booting from a USB stick, sudo
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/<sth>/boot /dev/sdX).

I haven't seen this problem when updating in the past, so I am
guessing it is a bug.  Maybe we should wait and see if anyone else
sees it before devoting any energy to it though; in any case, it is
fixed for me for now.  (I'm not sure how to go about debugging it, but
I'll send another e-mail if I see the same problem again next time I
update.)

James