[Nix-dev] after rebuild, grub says "error: symbol 'grub_term_highlight_color' not found"

James Cook james.cook at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 17 07:39:49 CEST 2014

On 16 September 2014 21:11, James Cook <james.cook at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After updating from approximately 9cbc2165 (Aug 23) to b079eef31 (Sep
> 16), instead of booting, my system gave the error message in the
> subject.  It seems the same as
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1289977 and I
> fixed it with the same solution (booting from a USB stick, sudo
> grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/<sth>/boot /dev/sdX).
>
> I haven't seen this problem when updating in the past, so I am
> guessing it is a bug.  Maybe we should wait and see if anyone else
> sees it before devoting any energy to it though; in any case, it is
> fixed for me for now.  (I'm not sure how to go about debugging it, but
> I'll send another e-mail if I see the same problem again next time I
> update.)
>
> James

Okay, it looks like this was caused by /dev/sda and /dev/sdb changing
places.  I guess I should be doing it by UUID or something.

(I found the following errors at the end of nixos-rebuild's output; I
guess I missed them before.)

/nix/store/wkmf1mhwkjspdr1myhyalgyc7882q1k7-grub-2.02-git-1de3a4/sbin/grub-install:
warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition;
embedding won't be possible.
/nix/store/wkmf1mhwkjspdr1myhyalgyc7882q1k7-grub-2.02-git-1de3a4/sbin/grub-install:
error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk
install.
/nix/store/pmashz5671fadjfyxaxf6r0bcz5839m4-install-grub.pl:
installation of GRUB on /dev/sda failed
warning: error(s) occured while switching to the new configuration

James