[Nix-dev] Security channel proposal

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:19:00 CEST 2014

My proposal is to have an hydra security channel independent of nixpkgs.

SAMPLE USAGE

nix-channel --add
http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixos/security/channel/latest

The channel will provide a <nixos-sec/module.nix> to be imported by the
users in their configuration.nix.

The nixos-sec/module.nix will add the relevant security updates[1].

WRITING SECURITY UPDATES

It must be ensured that the fixed software has the same ABI/API of the
one getting replaced, so that the security updates can work
independently of nixpkgs/nixos channel updates.

To achieve this, the derivation version should be parsed and checked
against the new version.
Also if the version of the software being replaced is higher than fixed
version, then the replace must not happen.
A couple of utility functions should suffice in writing such security
updates.

In general, I think it's better to use overrideDerivation + src +
patches, so that if the user ever customized compilation flags or
anything else, the security update will be as least invasive as possible.

Best regards,

[1] https://nixos.org/wiki/Security_Updates