[Nix-dev] Bash completion makes bash startup awefully slow

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Sat Mar 7 12:42:31 CET 2015

This time to the list as well..

So, sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been rather busy.

On 14-02-2015 11:54:51, Wout Mertens wrote:
> Err, can you quantify how slow bash starts up?

It's something between 0.8 and 1.5 sec on my 8core 16GB ram machine. This is
definitely too slow to work with, but keeping completion off is even worse for
my workflow...

> Anyway, Marc Weber has been working on modular bash completion, see
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/15757
>
> Maybe that should be part of NixOS.

Would be nice to see this or something similar in NixOS, where one can select
which stuff should be loaded as completion...

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,

Proudly sent with mutt.