[Nix-dev] NixOps doesn't work with EC2 anymore?

Jeffrey David Johnson jefdaj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 22:19:31 CET 2015

I'm trying to set up a server for my lab to do bioinformatics. I'm following the manual here:

<http://hydra.nixos.org/build/20346360/download/1/manual/manual.html#sec-deploying-to-ec2>

I got to the `deploy` step but then Amazon gives me an this error:

error: EC2ResponseError: 400 Bad Request
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response>
  <Errors>
    <Error>
      <Code>InvalidParameterCombination</Code>
      <Message>
        Virtualization type 'hvm' is required for instances of type 't2.micro'.
      </Message>
    </Error>
  </Errors>
  <RequestID>db2241eb-5cfe-4213-9d9c-b8b64a32fa7c</RequestID>
</Response>

According to <http://aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-ami/instance-type-matrix/>,
you now need to set up a block storage device and link it to your machine instance.
Is there a way to do that in nixops?

In case it helps, here are my nix expressions:

# test.nix
{
  network.description = "Amazon EC2 Test 2015-03-21";
  server = { config, pkgs, ... }:
    { environment.systemPackages =
        with pkgs;
        with rPackages;
        with pythonPackages; [
          edgeR
          DESeq2
          MLSeq
          ncbi-blast
          ipython
          nix
          nix-repl
          gitFull
          tree
          vim
          less
        ];
    };
}

# test-ec2.nix:
let
  region = "us-west-1";
  accessKeyId = "test";
  ec2 = { resources, ... }:

  {
    deployment = {
      targetEnv = "ec2";
      ec2 = {
        inherit region accessKeyId;
        instanceType = "t2.micro";
        keyPair = resources.ec2KeyPairs.my-key-pair;
        # securityGroups = [ "allow-ssh" "allow-http" ];
      };
    };
  };
in {
  server = ec2;
  resources.ec2KeyPairs.my-key-pair = { inherit region accessKeyId; };
}

And I launch it with:

nixops create ./test.nix test-ec2.nix -d test
nixops deploy -d test

Also sorry if I missed some old posts on this. Embarassingly, I can't figure
out how to search the mailing list archives.
Jeff