[Nix-dev] NixOS next stable release

Jonathan Glines auntieneo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:45:15 CET 2015

> Hi all,
>

> I'd like to start the discussion what should be part of of next stable
> release. It's scheduled for the end of May. From the experience during last
> stable release we need a month to get everything together for a confident
> stable release.
>
> That gives us a bit more than a month to merge any big changes.
>
> I propose following major changes get merged into master during next period:
>
> - Gnome 3.14 (3.16 was released yesterday)
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/5308

This is exciting to me because GDM in Gnome 3.14 is the first real
display manager with support for launching Wayland compositors. There
are a number of very practical Wayland compositors popping up on
GitHub and elsewhere, but most of them seem to preclude the notion of
a "login" screen by including a CLI launcher (e.g. weston-launch).
It's difficult to claim Wayland support without a login screen.

I'm not sure when or how things will settle in the Wayland/Mir/X11
space, but hopefully by *next* stable release we can have something.
Gnome 3.14 will be good to have for developing *meaningful* Wayland
support. I'll update the Wayland issue once I've poked at Gnome 3.14
some more. I would really like for Gnome 3.14 to be merged.
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/5071

> - syslinux boot loader for usb images
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/4678
I will test this soon. This is awesome. :)

> - systemd 219 https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/6671
> - set default kernel to 3.18 https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/6858
>
> I'd really like to see "private store files" implemented for this release,
> since it's the major drawback in our current package manager (after I've
> talked to quite some people from community in the last year). See
> https://github.com/NixOS/nix/issues/8

Does the "private store files" feature account for user
creation/management? The primary use for this from what I can see is
/etc/passwd management. What about /etc/wpa_supplicant? I assume these
nix expressions haven't yet been written/updated for private file
support. I would also like to be able to store my private data
somewhere in the interim *not* in my configuration.nix (gpgzip.nix?
fetchmegaupload.nix?) and prompt me for a password/key. Obviously
start small, but it should be proven before being set in stone.

Just my two cents.

Jonathan