[Nix-dev] NixOS next stable release

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 11:50:56 CET 2015

On 26 March 2015 at 12:37, Domen Kožar <domen at dev.si> wrote:
> [...]
> I'd really like to see "private store files" implemented for this release,
> since it's the major drawback in our current package manager (after I've
> talked to quite some people from community in the last year). See
> https://github.com/NixOS/nix/issues/8

One of my biggest wishes for Nix/NixOS, is the ability to build
packages from upstream tarballs which contain a default.nix file.

I think that would make a great argument for winning people over to
the Nix-side:

  With this small default.nix file in your source tree you'll be able
to reproduce your development setup on any machine.
  And further, users can install your package simply by adding this to
their config:
  environment.systemPackages = [ ... ] ++ (remotePackages [
"http://project/source.tar.gz" ])

I don't know if this is a pipe dream :-)

I guess this is the issue to discuss: https://github.com/NixOS/nix/issues/13

- Bjørn