[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

Damien Cassou damien at cassou.me
Fri Jul 22 14:18:55 CEST 2016

Wout Mertens <wout.mertens at gmail.com> writes:

> We have 1238 open issues and 286 open PRs.
> That is just too much to reason about.
>
> How about using something like https://github.com/twbs/no-carrier which
> auto-closes after 14 days of inactivity, and reopens on a new comment?

I agree with you about auto-closing old issues but I think 14 days is
way too short. For me, an issue must be automatically closed

- if nobody cares enough to say either that he is impacted too or is
  still impacted

- if nobody cares enough to fix the issue

There is not enough man power for nixpkgs to be bug free. Automatically
closing issues means open issues are the ones people care about.
Moreover, the tools auto-closing issues must warn a few days before
closing the issue to raise awareness of the open issues.

One day I closed an issue because nobody cared for months (even I didn't
care enough even though I reported it). Someone reopened it saying that
lack of care was not a reason to close an issue and someone else fixed
the issue the same day. So, closing can even encourage fixing :-).

Best,

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st