[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

Graham Christensen graham at grahamc.com
Fri Jul 22 16:24:22 CEST 2016

I see the growth in contributions and PRs as a great indicator of a healthy
project.

We get around 1,000 new issues/PRs every 1.5 months. The 33 PRs from the
last ~24 hours were contributed by 24 different people[0]. Our issuestats
badges say we close PRs in about 18 hours, and issues in 5 days.

Those are pretty good numbers, I think.

Here are some other projects and numbers:

 - Docker has 1,800 open issues, 142 open PRs
 - Ruby on Rails has 477 open issues, 632 open PRs

Here are some other _distributions_:

 - Debian has 90,000 bugs (?) https://www.debian.org/Bugs/
 - Redhat has 25,000 bugs
 - Gentoo has 20,000 bugs

I think we should be really proud of the number of quality contributions[1]
we get, and how effectively and promptly we can merge so many of them.

Some opinions:

 - I think we should be seeking out information about how other large,
popular open source projects deal with issue and PR load. I've reached out
to people at Docker, Drupal, and Emacs for feedback.
 - I think auto-closing issues which don't get attention is
passive-aggressive. I would be more amenable to a process of tagging issues
as "Needs response from submitter" and auto-closing if that isn't resolved.
Docker has/had a bot to let users add labels to issues.
 - I think splitting the repository isn't going to do us any favors and
just moves the burden around, and raises the difficulty of submitting
issues and updates. I don't think making it more difficult is in our best
interest.

Best,
Graham Christensen

[0]: This is amazing! No small group is submitting the bulk of the PRs.
Contributors:
https://gist.github.com/grahamc/cff852defb726dd5ae64b5a3287651d4
[1]: https://github.com/docker/docker/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed