[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

Azul mail at azulinho.com
Fri Jul 22 19:19:14 CEST 2016

triage exists to help manipulating a backlog, it is just another tool to
make sure team members are only working valuable issues and not spend the
time bikshedding, it also prevents duplication.
auto-closing issues due to being no longer applicable, or simply to reduce
the size of the backlog is another tool.
theming or (tagging) issues another process that helps to keep team members
with knowhow in a particular area aligned with the issues they care or are
able to fix in the shortest amount of time compared to other
dev/maintainers in the team.
voting is another good way to measure how important an issue is for a
number of users.
with these processes in place, someone responsible for managing the backlog
can look to every issue opened and work their way to reduce the overall
size of that backlog. then, it can be tagged and grouped into themes,
languages, maintainers, expertise and so on so that maintainers can find
then quickly.
if the backlog is then sorted by votes, common sense or other means then it
can be sliced and batched so that there is always a chunk of issues
available to be worked on ( attempt readers probably noticed by now I am a
kanban boy).

open source prj on github have the best tooling available to manage these
workflows, tools like the 'autoclose machine' mentioned here, zenhub for
managing work in progress in a simple board and others  are out there and
usually free for open source projects.

from this thread it seems to me that the most useful action would be to
nominate someone to manage that backlog and make a constant effort to bring
it down to a workable size, and always ordered by the ones that need to be
tackled first.