[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

Guillaume Maudoux (Layus) layus.on at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 19:21:44 CEST 2016

Hi,

May I suggest that the culprit is the tool itself ? Clearly GitHub does a poor job at managing and displaying issues. It works well for pull requests and code exploration, but not for issues.

What we need is to maintain a pool of issues that need attention. Ideally this pool is quite small (max 20), and contains issues that require some action, or could benefit from anyone's input.

For example, a new issue requires attention. When the discussion has started, it can be removed from the pool.
Issues with no activity also require attention eventually.

Furthermore, I think that every issue should be assigned to someone. Being assigned to an issue would mean that you are responsible for its progress, like pinging the maintainers, not for fixing the problem by yourself (but you still can).

We really need a way to get a short list of items requiring global attention, then triage/dispatch it elsewhere to keep focus on interesting things.
If GitHub cannot do that, we may need another tool.

Regards,

-- Layus.