[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Mon Jul 25 04:52:40 CEST 2016

benno.fuenfstueck at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The key here would be that we shouldn't get rattled if we get assigned
an issue/PR. All it means is "I think you know more about this than I do,
feel free to pass it on to someone else if aren't the right person or can't
handle this with the appropriate urgency".

>> I don't think that assignment is the right tool for this job. Assignment
in my opinion should be used for the purpose of avoiding duplicated work:
you assign yourself to an issue if you plan on working on it, so that
everyone else knows that they shouldn't work on that particular task
themselves.

> Fully agree that the purpose of assignment is to avoid duplicated work.
That is why I think the first person to ever review an issue (maybe that's
mentionbot) should assign someone to that issue. Once that's done, this
issue won't waste anyone's else's time until the current assignee decides
who would be a better assignee. This means the amount of reviewing work
done is about O(n_issues).

The nice thing about assignment is it is a little harder for things to get
lost. And I think asking the current assignee "I have time to take this
over, is that OK?" is an awesome question to ask if it appears that nothing
is being done.