[Nix-dev] gcc -flto under nix? Any way to get to gcc-ar bypassing gcc-wrapper?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:21:23 CEST 2016

I'm trying to package that benefits significantly from link time
optimization (-flto).  But I can't get this to work.  On non-Nix linux
platforms the current trick is to substitute gcc-ar for ar, gcc-ranlib for
ranlib.

I don't see how to do this in my nix expression.  The gcc-ar binary is
there:

   /nix/store/l8y2srrkp5fflwph7vq0gllj1k1ai17w-gcc-5.3.0/bin/gcc-ar

But I don't know (1) how to refer to it rather than gcc-wrappers, and (2)
whether that is a horrible idea to start with.

Is there some better way to get -flto working under nix?

Thanks,
 -Ryan