[Nix-dev] Why not use SONAME instead of RPATH

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:32:03 CEST 2016

This woild be fantastic.

TBH I've been wondering the same thing when reading documentation talked
> about rpath. This seems like the simpler more direct method. It also
> avoid the theoretical problem where there are two libraries of the same
> name in different folders, this allows you to specify exactly which one
> although that is unlikely to ever become a real problem.

I just want to point out that for us this problem is not theoretical.  We
regularly have binaries in /nix/store segfault or produce other errors due
to bad interactions with LD_LIBRARY_PATH on shared RHEL and Ubuntu machines.

I filed this as an issue here:

   https://github.com/NixOS/nix/issues/902#issuecomment-219389037

But I'm closing it now because it seems like a known implication of the
design that LD_LIBRARY_PATH clobbers nix-built executables.