[Nix-dev] monitor.nixos.org

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Mon Nov 28 21:31:50 CET 2016

On 16-11-28 01:32pm, Tomasz Czyż wrote:
> debian has such a strategy:
> - https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch
> -
> https://github.com/FedericoCeratto/debian-package-init/blob/master/deb_create_watch.py
>
> I think better place to execute this would be in CI pipeline, when you can
> decide if after upgrading the package you are still able to build the
> project.

Yes, of course it would have to be integrated in the CI pipeline.

> Also, I'm not sure if automatic upgrades would be that great without manual
> verification. There are cases when packages have no signatures and somebody
> switched the code on the website (this happens from time to time).

Depends. In combination with working acceptance/integration tests
this could be completely automated, save for the maintainer clicking
merge. I have a working testing infrastructure in the pipeline,
once I push it the basic building blocks will be in place.

> Also I had an idea that would be nice to integrate this update command into
> "meta" of derivation. What do you think?

The point is defining an interface that CI can then use to provide
automation. That is mainly defining an attribute and what success
and failure mean.

Basic idea:
meta.update (or maybe just passthru.update, not sure yet) is a
shell script that returns 0 on success and prints an attributeset
to stdout that can be merged with the source somehow. On failure
various exit codes are defined, like 1=no_change 2=not_found e.g.

Next problem: Automatic application would require basic nix expr
source introspection (as long as it’s not tried with regex)

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es