[Nix-dev] [NixDev] buildFHSUserEnv, network problems

Nikolay Amiantov ab at fmap.me
Thu Sep 22 11:21:50 CEST 2016

Hi!

This is a strange problem you have! I tested right now that at least in
`steam.env` networking works:

 nixpkgs git:(stable) ✗ TERM=xterm nix-shell -A steam.env
steam-chrootenv:ab at abbradarbook:~/nixpkgs$
/run/current-system/sw/bin/curl nixos.org
<!DOCTYPE html>

  <head>
    <title>NixOS Linux</title>

You seem to have tried "nix.org" instead of "nixos.org" which is indeed
unreachable for me -- just in case, try the latter instead.

On 09/22/2016 12:04 PM, Sergey Mironov wrote:
> Hi! I tried to use buildFHSUserEnv to create chroot environment to
> build some tricky BuildRoot project. The function seems to do the
> Right Thing in general except for network behavior: calling wget from
> this environment returns following
>
>     buildroot-env-chrootenv:smironov at ww2:~/proj/ks/kss-linux-demo$
> LANG=C wget nix.org
>     --2016-09-22 11:56:53--  http://nix.org/
>     Resolving nix.org (nix.org)... 160.153.18.102
>     Connecting to nix.org (nix.org)|160.153.18.102|:80... failed:
> Connection refused.
>
> Calling BuildRoot-powered Makefile (which requires access to the
> network) results in following error:
>
>     FailedConnectionException2 "raw.githubusercontent.com" 443 True
> getProtocolByName: does not exist (no such protocol name: tcp)
>
> So I am guessing that the possible problem lies somewhere in the TCP
> stack setup. Is it a known issue? How can I turn the network on?
>
> Regards,
> Sergey

Nikolay.