[Nix-dev] Remove Python 2.6 and 3.3

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Mon Sep 26 13:43:22 CEST 2016

On 26/09/16 12:29, Matthias Beyer wrote:
> I have 702 paths in /nix/store which contain the string "python2"
>
> Can you tell me how to check properly whether I need python2
> support/packages? I'm not so familiar with the python infrastructure.
I believe a lot of the "python2*" packages will be python libraries that
are dependencies, so I would suspect that a vast minority would actually
be the CPython interpreter.

For determining what needs those paths you can use the nix-store --query
(-q) to find out. I'm not on a machine right now but something like
`nix-store -q --requisites` will give you everything that depends on a
packages. I always get the actual wording confused but the man page has
excellent descriptions in the query section.

Hope that helps, Kevin