[Nix-dev] Remove Python 2.6 and 3.3

Ruben Astudillo ruben.astud at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 14:00:17 CEST 2016

On 26/09/16 08:43, Kevin Cox wrote:
 > On 26/09/16 12:29, Matthias Beyer wrote:
 >> I have 702 paths in /nix/store which contain the string "python2"
 >>
 >> Can you tell me how to check properly whether I need python2
 >> support/packages? I'm not so familiar with the python infrastructure.
 > I believe a lot of the "python2*" packages will be python libraries that
 > are dependencies, so I would suspect that a vast minority would actually
 > be the CPython interpreter.
 >
 > For determining what needs those paths you can use the nix-store --query
 > (-q) to find out. I'm not on a machine right now but something like
 > `nix-store -q --requisites` will give you everything that depends on a
 > packages. I always get the actual wording confused but the man page has
 > excellent descriptions in the query section.

I don't even use python, but this is exactly what I was going to propose.
This pipeline that would sort of do what the grand-parent wanted

     find /nix/store -maxdepth 1 -iname '*python-2.6*' -type d | \
       xargs nix-store -q --referrers | uniq

possibly with a `grep -v python` somewhere to avoid obvious dependencies.