[Nix-dev] What's the "perfect setup" for hacking on Nix?

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Tue Apr 11 18:09:20 CEST 2017

On 17-04-08 11:17pm, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Hi Nix devs!
>
> What is the "perfect setup" for hacking on Nix?  Is there an IDE that
> the you prefer to use?  Is there a C++ major mode for Emacs that you
> can't live without?  Are there other helpful tools?

A very good text editor. I can recommend Spacemacs.
nix comes with a `nix-mode.el` file for Emacs.
On Spacemacs, there is the `nixos` layer
which is nice, if rudimentary.

Since nix is a relatively new DSL, the editor-support is lacking.
Compared to Scheme at least.

I recommend studying the nix-* tools in-depth, they are your
main user interface. Particularly nix-store, nix-instantiate, nix-build.
Also, nix-repl is very helpful (separate package).

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es