[Nix-dev] Fwd: Why having releases if you break things in it often

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:30:08 CET 2017

On 02/11/2017 03:26 PM, Stefan Huchler wrote:
> Maybe we could talk about the status of the project wiki or other
> documentation, if there would ways to improve that.

Status of the wiki is being discussed right now:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/22599 and the rest of
documentation is also touched lightly in there.

I'm convinced the stable releases are worth it!  In the last several
months NixOS has been patching every single CVE reported in a larger
distribution (through LWN tracker) and backporting all those to the
stable releases.  I really find it *amazing* that we manage that
consistently.  There are occasional breakages due to some of the
updates, but that's hard to avoid completely and I don't think there
have been many.  (There's also the advantage of --rollback :)

--Vladimir