[Nix-dev] cabal-install & nix (was: nix-shell pro/con (was: Python 3 as default))

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at mailbox.org
Fri Feb 24 02:52:17 CET 2017

Profpatsch <mail at profpatsch.de> writes:
> On 17-02-23 12:45pm, Thomas Tuegel wrote:
>> The next version of cabal-install will perform this caching for you
>> automatically. It uses your shell.nix (if present) and adds GC roots for
>> the results. Your environment is not garbage collected or updated unless
>> you clear out the work directory or modify the shell.nix.
>
> You mean cabal-install will get support for nix?
> How does that interact with new-style builds?

Nix integration only supports the commands [1] where I thought it would
be useful, which does not include new-build. Adding support for a new
command wouldn't be difficult; "Nix integration" simply consists of
cabal calling `exec nix-shell --run "cabal [original arguments...]"'.

[1]. https://github.com/haskell/cabal/blob/master/Cabal/doc/nix-integration.rst