[Nix-dev] cabal-install & nix (was: nix-shell pro/con (was: Python 3 as default))

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Fri Feb 24 11:57:08 CET 2017

On 17-02-23 07:52pm, Thomas Tuegel wrote:
> Profpatsch <mail at profpatsch.de> writes:
> > On 17-02-23 12:45pm, Thomas Tuegel wrote:
> >> The next version of cabal-install will perform this caching for you
> >> automatically. It uses your shell.nix (if present) and adds GC roots for
> >> the results. Your environment is not garbage collected or updated unless
> >> you clear out the work directory or modify the shell.nix.
> >
> > You mean cabal-install will get support for nix?
> > How does that interact with new-style builds?
>
> Nix integration only supports the commands [1] where I thought it would
> be useful, which does not include new-build. Adding support for a new
> command wouldn't be difficult; "Nix integration" simply consists of
> cabal calling `exec nix-shell --run "cabal [original arguments...]"'.

Hm, that’s a nice convenience feature, but I’m rather sceptical.
Adding „nix support“ of one kind or another to all domain tooling
will lead to an at least quadratic blowup of duplicated work
and special, probably hardly maintained config options everywhere.

It’s in stack (and it sucks afaik), now it’s in cabal, next in pip …

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es