[Nix-dev] Grub problem: external pointer tables not supported

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at matrix.ai
Mon Jan 23 17:15:48 CET 2017

Hey,

Changing nixos generations won't affect the grub boot partition, that only
changes which nixos kernel and initramfs image gets booted.

This looks like an error in the Grub partition. Maybe you recently updated
it or changed it, or the partition got corrupted.

This is why other operating systems tend to make their /boot read-only...

If you can't get into the OS, then you can try booting off a USB, and then
edit the boot partition. Or run the uefi terminal app (but this one never
worked for me). If you had cloned/raided boot partitions you can try
changing the uefi image to boot from in your uefi settings (access it like
BIOS).

Currently I have 2 uefi boot partitions cloned, but one failed so I've been
booting off the other one.

Thanks,
Roger