[Nix-dev] Grub problem: external pointer tables not supported

Tomasz Czyż tomasz.czyz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 12:47:51 CET 2017

Hello,

recently my grub said this to me after I restarted computer:

Error: external pointer tables not supported
Error: you need to load the kernel first.

Every option I select with nix (also past generations) shows me this
message.

I updated the system to 17.03pre99792.c311871 on 2016-12-23 and restarted
it before multiple times (and worked). I don't remember if I did other
updates, but this is what's grub menu shows me.

My disk layout is: EFI boot partition for grub, next partition is encrypted
luks volume and ZFS on top of it.

This setup worked for me for 1.5 year now without any issue.

Anybody is aware of any changes to grub/zfs recently or had same issue?
Any suggestions how I can recover from it or what can be wrong?

Tom