[Nix-dev] Why having releases if you break things in it often

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Jan 23 10:51:44 CET 2017

Hi,

On 01/23/2017 10:07 AM, Stefan Huchler wrote:

> So because I dont need always newest versions on all of my boxes, I
> selected the 16.xx chhannel.
>
> There are here and there some minor issues as example kodi here and
> there crashes maybe 1-3 times a week. Could be extentions or something.
>
> For that and other reasons I update here and there all few weeks maybe
> the maschine.
>
> So one advantage of course is that if I notice that something does not
> work I can boot a old configuration, so I dont have to deal with some
> updates that broke stuff or rollback.
>
> But I wonder how you can break relativly often stuff (at the moment
> there seems to be a python dependency problem with flexget, that makes
> the daemon crash), in a "stable" release channel.

Could you be more specific? Also, if you spot a regression, please report it in
the Github issue tracker so that the offending patch can be reverted promptly.

The policy for the stable branch is that it should only have security or bug fix
updates. New versions of packages can be added but only in addition and marked
as "lowPrio".

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/