[Nix-dev] Why having releases if you break things in it often

Stefan Huchler stefan.huchler at mail.de
Mon Jan 23 16:09:50 CET 2017

Hello Freddy,

yes I think that html5lib thing would it be. So it was at least a
security fix, so you dont just update stuff to update it, which would
make releases pretty useless concept :)

So except you want security updates you dont have to update your system?
I think automated tests could fix that...

something like systemctl status flexget | grep running or something like
that.

Of course you cant write a test for every cornercase, but that bug seems
pretty obvious and easy to reproduce (install/upgrade flexget).

Sorry I formulated that message a bit trollish, but just wanted to learn
why how releases are done in nixos.

Also a hint why list-derivations and boot options in grub dont are the
same would be interesting? Maybe when I run gc or optimise they vanish
from grub?

Stefan