[Nix-dev] "nix-shell --pure -p qt5.qtbase --run qmake" not finding linux-g++

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:50:41 CET 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 1:48 AM, Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 January 2017 at 03:56, Thomas Tuegel <ttuegel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Generally, one needs to run all the preceding phases, even in nix-shell.
>
> That's unfortunate. I mean, it's surprising to me that qmake won't
> work in a nix-shell unless running some hook first. It was my
> understanding that tools typically work in nix-shell simply because of
> the environment variables that are (automatically) set.

I agree, this is not great. There are a few environment variables that
qmake respects, but most of its configuration must be specified
through a file. (It's not a very well-behaved program; one can't even
change the location of the config file!) For some reason I don't
recall at the moment, that file should be created after all setup
hooks have run; that's how it ended up in preConfigure and not in
qmakeHook's setup hook, where it would run automatically. I'm not
pleased with the situation, but I don't see how to do better at the
moment. :-\

Best,
Tom