[Nix-dev] Flash in Cromium

Tilo Schwarz mail at tilo-schwarz.de
Mon Jan 30 05:18:27 CET 2017

Hi Nix-Devs,

thank you for creating such a great stateless OS, really nice!

One question regarding Flash.

I installed as root on

# uname -a
Linux schleppa 4.4.40 #1-NixOS SMP Fri Jan 6 10:16:31 UTC 2017 i686
GNU/Linux

from

nixpkgs https://nixos.org/channels/nixpkgs-unstable

chromium-55.0.2883.87

It triggered a source build and worked. Additionally I installed

flashplayer-24.0.0.194

and did

#nixos-rebuild switch

a few times since then.

I have
# cat .nixpkgs/config.nix
{
   allowUnfree = true;

   chromium = {
     enablePepperFlash = true; # Chromium removed support for Mozilla
(NPAPI) plugins so Adobe Flash no longer works
     enablePepperPDF = true;
     # enableWideVine = true;
    };
}
in place.

So now I have

# nix-env -qP
1  chromium-55.0.2883.87
0  flashplayer-24.0.0.194

If I ask chrome about flash, it tells me

----------------------
chrome://flash:
About Flash

Chromium 55.0.2883.87 ()
OS Linux
Flash plugin 24.0.0.186
/nix/store/psnhg8ld2yh4lr1rzl81x2djrngpf1rx-flashplayer-ppapi-24.0.0.186/lib/libpepflashplayer.so
--- Crash data ---
Crash Reporting Enable crash reporting to see crash IDs
For more details https://support.google.com/chrome/?p=ui_usagestat
[... more stuff ...]
----------------------

And also

----------------------
chrome://plugins/:
Adobe Flash Player - Version: 24.0.0.186
Shockwave Flash 24.0 r0
Name: Shockwave Flash
Version: 24.0.0.186
Location:
/nix/store/psnhg8ld2yh4lr1rzl81x2djrngpf1rx-flashplayer-ppapi-24.0.0.186/lib/libpepflashplayer.so
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
  Disable
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
.spl
Disable  Always allowed to run

So it looks ok to me. But still I can not use flash on any web page, I
always get a message like "no flash player found".

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Tilo