[Nix-dev] purescript takes 4+ hours to build a hello world app on nixos

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 18:15:46 CET 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 1:02 AM, Sergei Trofimovich <slyich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 18:48:14 +0800

> Your system time
>
>     real    22m21.918s
>     user    13m49.982s
>     sys     23m1.702s
>
> suggests something is seriously off on your system.
> Perhaps machine is swapping heavily.
>
> If it works that long for you you should be able
> to explore the problem as it goes with tools like
> 'perf top', 'strace' and others.

If I do this:

$ mkdir tempdir
$ cd tempdir
$ npm install bower pulp
$ ./node_modules/.bin/pulp init
$ time ./node_modules/.bin/pulp build
* Building project in /home/stewart/dev/fractalide/capnpc-purescript
* Build successful.

real    0m1.127s
user    0m1.342s
sys     0m0.188s

Regarding swap:
Also when I checked htop during the `nix-build` in
nix-purescript-skeleton repo swap shows no indication of thrashing.

Kinda nasty using perf top due to permission issues.