[Nix-dev] Re: nix + rubygems + sinatra

David Guibert david.guibert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 21:45:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

>From Jim Pick:
> I've been playing around with packaging up some Ruby Gems with Nix
> expressions.  If anybody else is interested, here's my tree:
>
> http://github.com/jpick/nixos-xen64-nixpkgs/tree/master

Thx, useful to understand both nix and gem...
Before switching to Nix, I want to keep my favorite packages.
My first attempt, packaging the mail client I use.
It's a ruby application call Sup with 20 rubygem dependencies.

> I'd actually like to come up with an automated way of generating nix
> expressions from Ruby gems, if that is possible.

gem2arch converts rubygem yaml specification to PKGBUILD.
I modify it to generate nix epxression instead.

1. With the first patch, sup can be installed and launched.
2. The second remove rake since it doesn't compile and is provide as a
rubygem.
3. The last patch introduces the modified gem2arch used to generate all the
needed gems.

Any feedbacks are welcome...
--
David