[Nix-dev] no package attr_2.4.41-1

Matthew Curry mjcurry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 01:20:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:53:53AM -0400, Matthew Curry wrote:
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> Thanks for the attr package, and the tip about where nix gets the URLs from.
>>
>> It's now choking on gtk+-2.12.10.tar.bz2, but it actually starts
>> downloading, and then quits... another upstream problem, or perhaps my
>> work's internet connection, but I think you've given me enough to
>> blunder through a solution.
> You can always try nix-prefetch-url http://...
> manually. This also calculates the sha256 hash for you which is
> convinient.

Ah, good idea.

>>Also, I'm curious how nix repositories are to setting up,
> You have to explain a little bit more. Do you mean "How to add custom
> packages to nix ?"

That's one part.  The other part is that our client puts our
production system in an isolated network, meaning no internet access
at all, so we have to ship all packages (which are currently RPMs
built on RHEL4) as part of our delivery.  To use nix in our production
means we'd have to have a mirror of nix plus our own stuff.
It is annoying, and we have some other versioning issues that the
functional nature of nix might be able to ease a bit (I hope, our RPMs
aren't the best).  Of course changing all our packages from RPMs to
nix will take a lot of work.

>  and nix might be useful for us (we're
>> stuck on RHEL4 in production, so this might be an easy way to get
>> updated packages, as well as manage our own software at the same
>> time.)
>
> By the way you should also install the nix-channels.
> Then you'll get binaries and you don't even have to get the sources.
> Eg  try
> nix-channel --add http://nixos.org/releases/nixpkgs/channels/nixpkgs-unstable
> nix-channel --update

Wow.  You're absolutely right, I was trying to pull all the sources in
and build them (that's cool too though).  I can't believe I missed the
update part, thought I ran it.  Adding the update made everything for
firefox install, and then (since I built nix itself from a tarball) I
added /usr/local/etc/profile.d/nix.sh, and now it's in my PATH.  So
I've got firefox 3 up (or is it minefield?).  Maybe later this weekend
I'll toy with building nix packages and such.

Thanks for the help.

--Matt