[Nix-dev] Re: CMake broken

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Mon Sep 27 15:45:12 CEST 2010

Peter Simons wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the recent changes to the CMake expression break the build for me on
> Linux/x86_64 when useNcurses is 'false'.
Could you please attach a build log?

> Generally speaking, I find these changes somewhat dubious. For instance,
> we now have three different versions of CMake defined in all-packages.nix:
>
>   cmake = callPackage ../development/tools/build-managers/cmake { };
>
>   cmakeCurses = cmake.override { useNcurses = true; };
>
>   cmakeWithGui = cmakeCurses.override { useQt4 = true; };
>
> However, all of these expressions have the same name!
That's my fault. I have forgotten that some people still use nix-env -i/-u;)
The situation is not ambiguous for me as I always use nixos-rebuild or nix-
build or nix-env -iA.

Will fix tomorrow.
> That's an ambiguous and undesirable situation.
> Also, where is the version that has support for
> both qt and ncurses?
cmakeWithGui. We have no version "+qt -curses" now.

> Last but not least, I'm not particularly fond of expressions that require
> 'useDepXY' flags. IMHO, it's both easier and more intuitive to pass 'xy =
> null' to disable support for that particular dependency.

I thought about useFeature, not useDep. I'd like to see some standard way to
deal with options (like Gentoo useflags) in the future.