[Nix-dev] NixOS on a machine with only one user

Arseniy Seroka ars.seroka at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:07:49 CEST 2015

Do as you will.
I keep my system profile as minimal as I can.
And my user profile consists of several groups of pkgs.
I have them in my ~/.nixpkgs/config [1].
Firstly I just install via `nix-env -i`, if I like the pkgs and I need it
I'm writing it into my [1] to one of the groups ("env").

[1] https://github.com/jagajaga/my_configs/blob/master/.nixpkgs/common.nix
(~/.nixpkgs/config is linked to this file).

> NixOS noob here. I'm using NixOS on a machine with only one user (me).
> What's the best strategy for installing packages?
>
> Installing into the global system environment
> - or -
> Installing into a normal user profile
>
> It seems that the second method would be a bit more convenient, especially
> if I add and remove new software frequently. Which I do.

Sincerely,
Arseniy Seroka