[Nix-dev] Call For Maintainers - Fractalide BETA release

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:16:34 CET 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Herwig Hochleitner
<hhochleitner at gmail.com> wrote:

Nix's very existence revolves around solving an insanely hard problem,
that of reproducibility, it's the only project that actually gets it
right.
Reproducible monolith apps have _everything_ to do with Nix/NixOS
Reproducible libraries have _everything_ to do with Nix/NixOS

Reproducible functions adds a new vertical design space to Nix/NixOS,
it's pretty huge in my books, given that monolith apps can be combined
in only a certain amount of ways. Next came the reproducible
libraries, which can be combined into even more ways. Now this new
feature introduces a whole new level of mix-and-matchability.

As for stealing from the community, this is not a zero sum game. I'd
suggest otherwise, it promotes adoption of Nix/NixOS. There are sane
development processes and software architecture principles there.
Should a company choose to adopt developing their servers in this
style it increases the Nix/NixOS community by one more company, it
also saves them boat loads of firefighting, bugs, bad architecture,
bloat and all sorts of nastiness down the line.